Wednesday, December 22, 2010

10 Best Picture noms


Good ole Owen, one of the main two movie reviewers over at ew, expresses his opinion about the Academy's decision last year to have 10 films nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars below. A decision that continues this year.

I agree, with many of his points. Yes, it's obvious which are the "top five," which are the commercially successful ones us real people see and which five would not be included if there were only five nominated flicks. Yes, this is an attempt to bring more viewers to the awards show. My main disagreement, that 10 nominees diminish the Oscars. The Oscars are still the highest honor when it comes to movies and back in the 30s, there were always 10 films nominated for Best Picture.

Overall though, I do wish that there were only five movies nominated for Best Pic. It really just made for more "Oscar homework" for me last year and didn't seem to change much. My love for movies and the Oscars isn't really effected by the year to year changes. I do like to see more people genuinely excited and watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment