Sunday, October 16, 2011

Movie Night 10/14/11 -- High Fidelity

I had been trying to quote High Fidelity all week and was glad when Marla agreed that it should be our movie night selection for this week.

I was surprised this week that a majority of those under age 25, have not seen High Fidelity. I think this was particularly surprising because my 24 year old sister, watched it dozen of times to my knowledge, quotes it and read/owns Cash by Johnny Cash.

It holds up, it is still a great flick. It is based on a Nick Hornby novel (About a Boy with Hugh Grant is also based on a Hornby novel). One startling thing, there was a Charlie Sheen like quality to John Cusack's character Rob that was definitely not noticeable in the pre-Two and a Half Men years. I love Jack Black in his breakout role as Barry and the movie remains SO quotable. I really did try not to quote the whole movie while it played, I tried...

- Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?
- It would be nice to think that since I was 14, times have changed. Relationships have become more sophisticated. Females less cruel. Skins thicker. Instincts more developed. But there seems to be an element of that afternoon in everything that's happened to me since. All my romantic stories are a scrambled version of that first one.
- It was like trying to borrow a dollar, getting turned down, and asking for 50 grand instead.
- Rob, I'm telling you this for your own good, that's the worst f8ckin' sweater I've ever seen, that's a Cosby sweater. A Cosssssssby sweater. Did Laura let you leave the house like that?
- I can't fire them. I hired these guys for three days a week and they just started showing up every day. That was four years ago.
- OK, buddy, uh, I was just tryin' to cheer us up so go ahead. Put on some old sad bastard music, see if I care.
I don't wanna hear old sad bastard music, Barry, I just want something I can ignore.
Here's the thing. I made that tape special for today. My special Monday morning for you...special.
Well, it's f8ckin' Monday afternoon! You should get out of bed earlier!
- Oh, is she in a coma?
- Rob, top five musical crimes perpetuated by Stevie Wonder in the '80s and '90s. Go. Sub-question: is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter day sins, is it better to burn out or fade away?
- I guess it looks as if you're reorganizing your records. What is this though? Chronological?
No...
Not alphabetical...
Nope...
What?
Autobiographical.
No f8cking way.
- Only people of a certain disposition are frightened of being alone for the rest of their lives at the age of 26.
- Hey, I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I'm certainly not the dumbest. I mean, I've read books like "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" and "Love in the Time of Cholera", and I think I've understood them. They're about girls, right? Just kidding. But I have to say my all-time favorite book is Johnny Cash's autobiography "Cash" by Johnny Cash.
- John Dillinger was killed behind that theater in a hale of FBI gunfire. And do you know who tipped them off? His f8cking girlfriend. All he wanted to do was go to the movies.
- I want more, I wanna see the others on the big top-five. I want to see Penny and Charlie and Sarah, all of them. You know? Just see 'em and talk to 'em. You know, like a Bruce Springsteen song.
- Why'd you have to tell her about the store?
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know it was classified information. I mean, I know we don't have any customers, but I thought that was a bad thing, not like, a business strategy
- It's not what you are like but what you like.
- How does an average guy like me become the number one lover-man in his particular postal district? He's grumpy, he's broke, he hangs out with the musical moron twins...
- Do you have Soul?
That all depends.
- Marvin Gaye is dead. His father shot him.
- That is shocking. That is shocking.

And I could go on...

No comments:

Post a Comment