Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Young Adult

Or "YA, that's industry speak for young adult." I scored passes to a screening of director Jason Reitman (Juno, Up in the Air, Thank You for Smoking) and Diablo Cody (Juno)'s new movie and of course my number one sneak peek buddy Emily joined me.
Charlize Theron is in the lead role as a stunted author of a young adult book series. She makes the abrupt decision to return to the small town where she is from where she shined in her high school days.
The movie is very funny, has heart and I enjoyed routing for the fabulous antihero that Theron cultivated. Reitman and Cody rejoined forces nicely, this time focusing on what happens after high school. You know that the Breeders tv shirt worn by one character was as carefully chosen as was the Twilight joke in the same scene. The 90s inspired music and the supporting cast were strong. Patton Oswald is excellent has a former classmate of Theron's Mavis. In her few scenes, Collette Wolfe is brilliant as Oswald's sister. I had to consult imdb but I believe I recognize Wolfe most from Cougar Town. Or possibly Hot Tub Time Machine (fun trivia, the first movie ever watched at movie night was Hot Tub Time Machine).
I really enjoy this alternate YA book cover style poster. 
For my coworkers, you will note a familiar name mentioned as one of the characters in the series Mavis Gary writes...

No comments:

Post a Comment